Wednesday, February 29, 2012

New Furniture

Okay so we have a massive entertainment center. If you know me then you've heard me complain about it. Now David built it so I absolutely adore it. But David built it for the house on base, which was a bigger home with bigger rooms. Since we've moved to this house it has become overwhelming. It takes up a lot of room and has also become too big for the room. The space could be utilized in other ways.

Sitting there one night thinking I told David that I was tempted to remove the entertainment center and just put the TV (we now own a flat screen) up on the wall. We luckily have a wall mount already so that wouldn't be a problem. He said okay where are we going to put all of the stuff. Well I didn't have an answer for that. :(

The next day I was telling Walter about David and I's conversation and I told him I just don't know what to do with the stuff. Because where as the entertainment is too big it does have a lot of storage. Walter said we could do what his friend's parents did. Get an old antique dresser and put the electronics and movies into that. Well I loved the idea. I ran the idea past David who was skeptical but willing to talk about it. With all of our movies a regular dresser would just not be enough. Not to mention the amount of books I own or the other crap I keep on the entertainment center. So this past weekend Walter and I went to Barn Treasures and Antiques. We found a few dressers and stands. Most of them were just too small. The antique dresser we found would not be able to hold all we own plus the veneer was badly damaged and would have been too much work to fix it. Then we found the ugliest thing you've ever seen in furniture. It's at least 5 feet long has a cabinet, 4 small drawers and 4 very large drawers. It's as if someone has white washed it and then used a blow torch to burn the surface. It is truly hideous and I absolutely fell in love with it. I sent a text pic to David and he automatically said no. Of course he did. Well I finally talked our three options over with him and then took him there on Monday after he got home from work. I showed him the other two and then showed him the one I wanted. He hemmed and hawed but finally said okay. Apparently it's quite heavy but Walter and David were able to manage it.

David and I started working on it today. I've gotten it 90% sanded today. All the drawers and the surface of the cabinet. David removed all the nails and screws from it and will finish sanding it tomorrow. He's going to route the edge of the top of it and add new molding to it. We've chosen a stain for it.

Now from what David and I have surmised someone had burned it to age it. If you burn the surface of the furniture and then sand it the burned spots look like age areas. Where it's been damaged from wear and age and also stains from the same thing. If you stain it correctly it comes out really nice. I try to incorporate this idea with most of the furniture I refinish but mostly by leaving some of the stain on when I sand it down.

So far it looks great and I can't wait to start staining it and getting the hardware for it. I'll post before and after photos when I'm done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment